Wednesday, January 15

{Figure Friendly} Spaghetti Casserole

You may have noticed by now that I am obsessed with casseroles ever since having my beautiful son. I need meals that I can toss in the oven, and allow me to take the time to care for my toddler in the mean time. "Ain't nobody got time" for homemade sushi anymore, sadly enough. This dish here is one of my personal favorites. Growing up in an Italian family, spaghetti is, and always has been, my absolute favorite food. This recipe however is not diet friendly. Wanna pack on the pounds? Come on over to place! I'll fatten ya' up real quick! For those of you who are watching your calorie intake, I've altered my recipe to be "figure friendly" and cut the calories and fat!


{Spaghetti Casserole}

1 box elbow macaroni
2 pounds ground beef
pepper, minced onion, & minced garlic
1 jar Ragu super chunky mushroom pasta sauce
1 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cook pasta in boiling water per box instruction to al dente. Drain and rinse. 

Meanwhile, brown ground beef, seasoning with black pepper, minced onion, and minced garlic to taste. Drain fat from beef.

Stir in jar of pasta sauce, and sour cream into browned ground beef, until smooth and creamy. Stir in 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.

Add meat sauce to drained pasta in a 9x13 baking dish, and stir to combine.

Top with remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, and sprinkle Parmesan over top to taste. Cover with foil.

Bake for 25 minutes at 350, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. 


{Figure Friendly Spaghetti Casserole}

1 box whole wheat elbow macaroni
2 pounds lean ground beef
pepper, minced onion, & minced garlic
1 jar Ragu super chunky mushroom pasta sauce
1 cup light fat-free sour cream
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cook pasta in boiling water per box instruction to al dente. Drain and rinse. 

Meanwhile, brown ground beef, seasoning with black pepper, minced onion, and minced garlic to taste. Drain fat from beef, and rinse ground beef with hot water. Drain. 

Stir jar of pasta sauce, and sour cream into browned ground beef, until smooth and creamy.

Add meat sauce to drained pasta in a 9x13 baking dish, and stir to combine.

Top with mozzarella cheese, and cover with foil.

Bake for 25 minutes at 350, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

*Tips;

You are more than able to use any type of pasta, including spaghetti noodles. I make my recipe with macaroni noodles, because it's easiest for my 1 year old to pick up with his tiny fingers. I also prefer the thick bite to macaroni, over a thin, limpy noodle.

Rinsing ground beef is a tip I learned from Pinterest. If you thought just draining the fat off of your beef was healthy, try actually rinsing it with water. It's mind blowing how much more fat comes off.

This dish is fantastic for hiding veggies for small children. Or any picky eater, for that matter! Easily sneak shredded carrots, shredded zucchini, or even additional tomatoes or mushrooms in this casserole, to include up to a full serving of fresh vegetables into your meal!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment