Wednesday, January 8

My Favorite Chili Cheese Dip


Chili cheese dip is an American past time... Okay, maybe not. But it is by far a tradition in our household. I would say that chili cheese dip and spaghetti and meatballs are the only two foods I specifically remember from my childhood. Oh, and little Vienna sausages.. I loved sneaking those nasty little canned meat sticks from my Grammy's pantry.. Off topic! Chili cheese dip is one of those foods that most likely will taste different at each party you attend. Each family has their way of making it. For my family, it was a can of Hormel chili and a pound of Velveeta. After visiting a friends house who's recipe called for a can of Rotel instead of Hormel, I had a brilliant idea. Instead of making the choice to have chili cheese dip, or the choice to have salsa con queso, let's have a fiesta and combine them both! {Let's be serious here, I know I'm not the first person to dump these ingredients into the crock pot. But never the less, the flavor was better than how I've been doing it for the last 10 years & had to share it.}

I dumped an entire can of Hormel chili (with beans), an entire can of Rotel diced tomatos (original heat), and one 16 ounce block of original Velveeta into my mini-crockpot, and set the heat to low. It takes about 30-40 minutes to get the cheese melted and creamy while stirring occasionally. *This can also very easily be done on the stove top in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat!

By far, this is my favorite chili cheese dip combination. If you've been a follower of the single can dip, I urge you to try adding it's mate, and let me know how you feel about it! How do you make your chili cheese dip?

*Tip; Don't drain that delicious juice from the can of Rotel! Dump all of that liquidy goodness right on in for full flavor.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment