Friday, January 3

Perfect Bacon. Every. Single. Time!


Perfect bacon? Is there such a thing?! How many times have we scalded our arms and chest with hot bacon grease? How many times have our bacon come out all limpy and raw? Or even worse. Curled up in a tiny, crispy burnt ball. Bacon is by far the hardest food for me to cook. And I've tried it all. I've tried using a George Foreman grill, I've tried microwaving it, I've tried those stupid microwave cookers that cost an arm and a leg. Nothing works. Until I finally pinpointed how to make perfect bacon. We can thank Rachael Ray for this one. {I love you RR!} The secret to perfect bacon is to bake it. Yup. Simple. The oven. And the TRUE secret that I'm sharing today is to not preheat the oven. Place your bacon on a baking sheet, and slide it into a cold oven. If you prefer a softer bacon, choose the middle rack. If you're like us and prefer a crispier bacon, choose the bottom rack. Once you shut the oven door, set the oven temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and set the timer for 30 minutes. Don't peek! After 30 minutes, carefully remove the baking sheets from the oven. They may not look as pretty as we'd hope at this point.


Don't be alarmed at the amount of nasty grease surrounding your bacon. The next step is to carefully layer the bacon between sheets of paper towel to absorb the grease.


I waited approximately 5 minutes to allow that grease to absorb. And after 5 minutes, perfect bacon.


It's really that easy. No grease splatter, minimal mess, no curly, wrinkles, nothing. At this point, you could go ahead and dive right in to devour it all, or go my route and ziplock bag it and store it in the fridge for BLT's! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment